Mandarin Excellence Programme
Students explore Chinese history and culture in the city of Oxford.
This excursion, an integral part of the MEP, involved thirty of our Year 7 students together with students from four other MEP schools in Bath, Cheltenham and Didcot.
The full packed itinerary included:
- The Ashmolean Museum: Home to some of the finest collections of Chinese art in Europe.
- Dance workshop: Students learned about traditional, folk and modern Chinese dance and had the opportunity to practise some of the routines too.
- Insight into China’s diverse cuisine: Lunch at a popular Sichuan restaurant and a special shopping trip in an Asian supermarket investigating different foods plus students sampled some wonderful bubble tea in a cafe!
Bringing these five MEP schools together also enabled students to communicate and share experiences with their peers.
Read what our students had to say:
- Jessica Kearney: “I liked this experience in Oxford because I learnt about ancient China and the dancing.”
- Priya Narhlya-Martin: “I really enjoyed the trip. I learnt about different types of Chinese dances and the Chinese restaurant was great and delicious. I made some new friends from different schools.”
- Anna Perera-Merry: “Today was great fun. We were able to learn more about Chinese culture and history. I loved it!”
- Elaha Moosa: “Today was an eye-opening experience on Chinese culture! I liked the Chinese food and history.”