Step Up To Careers
Sixth Form Students Meet with an inspirational Range of Professionals and Industries
Our annual sixth form Step Up To Careers day brings students face to face with an amazing range of individuals and industries.
Through these interactive career workshops students extend their learning on exciting study and employment options.
We would like to thank all the individuals and organisations for their expertise and generous support. We were delighted to also welcome back many of our Gumley Alumni.
- Journalist Chris Wheal, Chris is a freelance journalist who has achieved high profile interviews with numerous Prime Ministers. Chris was also one of our key contributors at our ‘Fake News’ Sixth Form Conference last October.
- SKY, John Fendley, Producer and Presenter of Soccer AM, is also a 'feature reporter' on the Sky Sports News show Soccer Saturday and has presented the Sky Sports show Take It Like a Fan
- The Civil Service, Kaori Takenaka, HR Business Partner & Fran Knight, Talent Acquisition Lead Department for International Trade. Kaori completed the HR Fast Stream graduate programme to gain entrance to the Civil Service. Fran Knight joined the Department in June 2017 having previously worked at Mars.
- Specialist Make-Up and Hair Artist Helen Barrett. Helen trained and worked at the BBC before going freelance and now concentrates in film & TV projects including Les Misérables and gained a number of awards.
- Chelsea & Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Gill Ledward-Spence, Practice Education Facilitator, now looks after student midwives and Sally Seaman Practice Development Midwife, whose current role involves supporting, teaching and training midwives. Both Gill and Sally work in the clinical practice.
And our Alumni:
- Charing Cross Hospital, Doris Llumigusin Registered Adult Nurse. Doris works in the Oncology ward in Charing Cross Hospital having gained a BSc in Adult Nursing form the University of York.
- HSBC PLC, Colleen McSweeney, Global Commodities Intern. Colleen specialises in Global Liquidity, Cards and Wealth Management as part of her industry year, she is currently at the University of Loughborough reading Economics with Politics.
- The National Physical Laboratory, Christine Thorogood, Assistant Research Scientist. Christine gained a Junior Science Apprenticeship with the NPL after leaving Gumley’s sixth form. Having been offered a full time role at NPL she is now carrying out research in the electronic and magnetic materials group.
- Gunpowder & SKY, Vnisha Vaghela Researcher. Vinisha is working in development, creating new TV and films ideas. She read Sociology at the University of Loughborough and gained many media placements through her school and university years.
Pearson’s Employability Skills Workshop added to this fast paced morning. Through the creation of a series of thought provoking tasks students develop many skills from decision making & adaptability to team work and time management, preparing them further for their post school lives.